These are a very traditional cake from Wales and are my family’s favourite things and so sometimes I’ll make up a batch especially for them. They really don’t take long to make and fill my kitchen with a delicious warm spicy aroma. And they taste so good!
12oz self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
6oz butter or margarine
2oz caster sugar
2tsp mixed spice
6oz raisins or sultanas
• Using a mixer (I love my KitchenAid 💕) mix the flour, baking powder and butter together until they look like breadcrumbs.
• Add sultanas, mixed spice and sugar.
• Add egg and milk and continue mixing to form a soft dough.
• Turn onto a floured surface, roll out to 1/4” thickness and cut into round discs.
• Over a low heat cook in a heavy based frying pan for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
• Sprinkle with caster sugar and leave to cool on a rack.
I have to double up this recipe as they don’t last five minutes in our house! Literally as I’m cooking them they’re being swiped!
I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do ❤️